Asking people for money for a great cause is fun! Your enthusiasm for birds and the R4B competition will be contagious. Here are some tips to help you add some fundraising to your R4B participation.
- Keep in mind that most people are happy to donate to a good cause, especially when it is connected with someone they know (you).
- People will be particularly interested in the event itself, so tell them about your plans to see as many birds as you can, where you plan to go, etc…
- The first pledge is the easiest! Donate a pledge yourself for your team.
- The most effective way to raise pledges is to ask people face-to-face. Ask parents, friends, family, teachers, neighbors, doctors, etc…
- Write a letter describing the R4B and the conservation organization you plan to support, and send it to friends and family asking them to pledge their support.
- Make sure you thank your sponsors. Write them a letter after the competition and tell them how it went, as well as a reminder of the amount of money they pledged, and the number of birds you saw. The sooner you contact your sponsors after the event, the better chance you will collect the pledges.
- Make sure that your sponsors send you checks made out to the conservation organization that you chose to support or receipts from online donations so that you can keep track.
- When your pledges are all in, send checks to the organization you chose to support. Be sure to photocopy the checks before you send them.
- Report fundraising success to HOST ORGANIZATION CONTACT.
Back to: Fundraising for R4B Teams